Salary commensurate with education/experience
Incubator Manager /Dorchester County– Eastern Shore Innovation Center
This position is responsible for developing, implementing and managing the business incubator located within the Dorchester Regional Technology Park. In addition, this position is responsible for developing, implementing and managing the “innovation network” for Dorchester County. This position is responsible for providing community leadership regarding entrepreneurship and economic development innovations in our region.
Minimum Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate; and
BA/BS degree in Business or related field. Concentration in Business is preferred.
Note: Experience at an executive/management level within a business or government entity may be substituted for the required college degree.
Minimum Experience: 3+ years of full-time business incubation and related program experience. Commercial real estate or property management experience; experience with meeting tenants and customers; project management a plus
Strongly Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in working with start-ups
- Experience in being part of growing company management team with supervisory experience and being a team player
- Technical background with Masters; or bachelor degree in business with 4 – 6 years’ experience
- Previous record of building strong networks with business and academic leaders
- Experience desired in personally owning and/or operating a commercial venture
- Highly proficient in Microsoft software
Certification: Project Management certification is preferred.
NOTE: Credit hours with a major in business from an accredited college may be substituted at the rate of 20 credits for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
Please submit a completed county application, letter of interest and resume to Human Resources, 501 Court Lane, Cambridge, Maryland 21613 by July 13, 2015.
Full-time, Exempt, Contractual
The Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology (IMET) is a joint University System of Maryland research institution capitalizing on the strengths of the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science (UMCES), the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), and the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). More information about IMET can be found at www.imet.usmd.edu.
IMET seeks to hire an Incubator Manager who will be responsible for coordinating the activities of the IMET business incubator by working collaboratively with incubator clients, Maryland State agencies, resource providers, economic development entities, and the business community. The Incubator Manager oversees and facilitates the operation of the business incubator by coordinating services, providing business development assistance to incubator tenants and clients and managing researching, marketing, recruiting, planning, and coordinating the development of new and expanding entrepreneurial businesses. The position requires the ability to work independently while demonstrating a positive, purpose-oriented work ethic and enthusiasm, dedication, and commitment in assisting local startups to form and grow. The Incubator Manager will promote and market business incubation services and capabilities to the local business community and build strong relationships between the business community, local government and IMET. He/she will facilitate entrepreneurial and leadership education programs. The Incubator Manager must be comfortable working in a dynamic environment where change is common and must be a team player but also self-directed and motivated. Flexibility is required for occasional evening and weekend work. The Incubator Manager will report to the Assistant Director of IMET.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist IMET and its partner universities to support economic development and facilitate entrepreneurship and small business development
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the business incubator facility, including marketing the facility, recruiting potential tenants, and assisting in screening potential clients
- Represent IMET to the public and outside groups, organizations, and agencies
- Serves as a liaison to the universities, colleges, businesses and other local incubators/accelerators
- Design and implement marketing materials to ensure public exposure to program offerings
- Identify funding sources for projects requiring financial assistance
- Help raise funds from private and public sources
- Conduct business counseling with tenants and clients on an individual basis
- Assist in coordinating facility operations with University maintenance, custodial, and public safety staff
- Assist with other administrative tasks as needed
Applicant must be passionate about startups, entrepreneurship, and nurturing a vibrant and diverse economy in the Baltimore area and region. The successful applicant will have knowledge of business incubation programs, and marketing/salesmanship principles. Grant/contract administration practices are desirable.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Biotechnology related field and 3-years related experience or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties is required. Masters or PhD in a scientific discipline with a background in business is preferred, entrepreneurship, or economic development is desirable. Experience starting, owning, operating and/or managing a small business desirable. Technical sales experience desirable.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately.
UMCES-IMET is an AA/EOE. Individuals with disabilities, veterans, women, and minorities are encouraged to apply.